Sunday, October 30, 2011

Thoughts about blessings

I have been so blown away by God's love for us lately. He is providing for our every need and bringing amazing people into our lives. I just can't even express the wonder and mystery of it all. I guess no one can when trying to explain God.
Yesterday a group of people came over to do our yard work and load up all the junk that's been hanging around our yard for way too long. They filled a trailer so full that I don't even know how Kris is going to haul it away!
The gang was amazing. It was a mix of teens and grownups. Some of the adults had heard that the kids were coming to help and they asked if they could help too. It's amazing to me that teenagers would want to volunteer their time to me. I was not that kind of teen. I bet my life would have gone a lot differently if I was!
After all their hard work, they even offered to take us out for pizza. That was humbling too. I am learning to receive God's blessing without feeling ashamed or like I need to pay it all back. People hear God's call to help and they obey. It doesn't even have to be about me at all even though they are coming to serve me. If God calls, we better obey!
The verse of the day on my phone was John 8:36. "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." That kept coming to mind as so much goodness was being showered upon us yesterday. God has set me free from shame. He doesn't want me to apologize for having needs. He is using my needs to show me His great love for me. He is bringing His body together to help us and to show us that we really are one great big family. There is no limit to what can be accomplished when we work together according to God's call for His purposes.
I'm looking forward to the day when my boys and I can be part of a work crew to bless someone else who needs it. I'm listening now for the Holy Spirit to guide me and show me what I can do right now to be a part of the "blessing cycle".
I know that people have different seasons of need and giving. I know that right now, we are in a season of need. But, we can still give in different ways. I find it all so amazing.
God is in control of everything. Sean used to say, "Don't worry about that, my Dad's the King." He would tell me that when I was worried about money or not having something that I thought we needed. He wanted me to know that God can provide all things in abundance for those who trust in Him. God is proving faithful every step of the way!
Yesterday I was telling Kris that I just couldn't believe all the things that were being taken care of for us. He said, "God just wants to show you how much He loves you." My first thought was, "Why didn't he just let Sean live?" But if He had, I never would have had all these opportunities to see God's love come through His people.
I might not have gotten to understand the way God's economy works. God owns everything. He lets us use it until it's time to pass it on to the next person that God wants it to go to. I love to see this in action. It's great when the thing that you are done with is the very thing that someone else is in need of. It's the same with our time and money. Not that we are done with it but that we can choose to use it to bless others. We are not all called for the same jobs or to give to the same people. It's great to know that if we are all listening to the Spirit, everything gets done and no one is overburdened or burned out.
I'm just starting to really get this and I'm sure I have much to learn. I am just so blown away by the way people are reaching out to help us. It seems like six months have gone by now and people should be forgetting about us. But they aren't. As lonely as life can feel sometimes, we are not alone. We are loved by the biggest God there ever could be and we are loved by lots of people. I don't understand why, but I know it's true.

No comments: